I am not a morning person so breakfast can be really tough for me. Over the past year I’ve been making a smoothie almost every morning just because of the convenience factor. At first I stayed with the most familiar smoothie I could make, strawberry banana. As I started to get sick of the same smoothie I started to think about what I could do to add more fiber and include vegetables without sacrificing taste. This is by far my best creation and just happens to come out green which scares a lot of people off but it’s actually delicious!
I have learned a couple of tips since I’ve started making smoothies that I think are really useful when getting creative with your smoothies.
- Plain yogurt tastes exactly the same as vanilla yogurt when added to a smoothie so skip out on the sugar and stick with the plain.
- While greek yogurt is enticing it only have a little bit of water content so unless you have a straw your smoothie is not going to move – stick with the regular yogurt.
- Kale > Spinach. Spinach does not chop up as smooth and has a more earthy taste that most people don’t prefer while Kale tends to be sweet and almost undetectable if the color wasn’t so obvious.
- Unless you have too don’t buy the fruit fresh. Number one it is very expensive to do that and actually during certain parts of the year when your fruit is out of season the frozen fruit has a higher nutritional content. That is because frozen fruit are typically flash frozen at peak season. Using frozen fruits will also keep your smoothie cold so you don’t have to add ice.
- Coconut milk > Cows Milk when it comes to taste. They are not equivalent in Calcium and Vitamin D however so if you’re looking to add those nutrients to your diet this is a not an equivalent switch. However, coconut milk seems to blend better with the fruit flavor and adds a nice sweetness that is not overpowering.
- A regular blender works to make smoothies so you don’t need anything fancy. If you go to cheap though they typically don’t last. I learned that the hard way….
So now onto how to make the “Green Smoothie”
- 1/4 cup of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 frozen banana (un peel and put in freezer the night before)
- 1/4 cup frozen kale
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
Hope you enjoy! Share below your favorite smoothies you like to make at home!